Retirement Visas & Discounts in Panama
Retirement Visa requirements are pretty straightforward. Here is the short version of what Panama requires:
- Proof that you get an adequate pension (varies from year to year)- from a governmental or private corporation
- A certificate of good health (obtainable in Panama)
- Police report from your place of residence
- Marriage certificate if applicable
- Passport copy, and a couple of photos (birth certificate not required)
The long version visa requirements
Retiree residency is granted indefitinely but retirees must show evidence each year that you continue to receive $500/mo.
This type of residency does not qualify for citizenship.
Panama also offers some discounts to senior citizens
- 50% off entertainment including movies, concerts, theater etc.
- 25% off meals in restaurants
- 50% off hotel accomodations Monday thru Thursday
- 30% off bus, boat and train fares
- 25% off domestic and international airline tickets
- 10% off prescription medicines
- 15% off dental and eye exams
- 50% off closing costs for home loans
These discounts can stretch your retirement dollars a bit. But for many, the attitude of the Panamanian government matter most. The actually encourage seniors to retire and settle in Panama long term.